[lbo-talk] evolution & the female orgasm: men cleared

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:36:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Jim Devine wrote:

>> New Scientist - June 8, 2005
>
>> Genes blamed for fickle female orgasm
>> Rowan Hooper
>
>> According to a study published this week, up to 45% of the
> differences between women in their ability to reach orgasm can be
> explained by their genes.<
>
> this kind of "45%" number is useless. Genes tell us what human (or
> other animal) limits are: for example, we can't fly (without an
> airplane or whatever). They don't tell us the extent to which the
> potential is actually reached.
> JD

Umm--you're saying women don't know when they have orgasms? If we can assume the self-reports are accurate, we indeed have data here that demonstrates a genetic influence on women's tendency to have orgasms during intercourse. Twin research has some problems, but your criticism isn't one of them.

Miles