[lbo-talk] Time for Tough Love (The New American Militarism. . . .)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 10:05:26 PDT 2005

No doubt this is good advice about sexual behavior, as Savage's advice so often is, and it is sort of amusing to read, but what's the political relevance? What's the political equivalent of telling whatever audience of ordinary Americans the likes of us might have, Don't do that, you moron, that's irresponsible?

One important difference is that in the situation that Savage describes, the guy who's not going to play stupid isn't going to see the others again, but we hope to build a "lasting relationship" with ordinary Amricans (or residents of whatever country we may be in). So maybe telling people off isn't a good . The point is to be effective. not to be in a position to say I Told You So years later, right? jks

<http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0521,savage,64254,24.html>

> [...]
> positive guys
> "look" positive. If that were the case, only
> batshit-crazy
> "bugchasers" would ever get infected. However: Some
> poz guys on meds
> suffer from physical side effects that are instantly
> recognizable --
> primarily "facial wasting," or lipoatrophy, i.e.,
> deep grooves where
> their cheekbones used to be.
>
> Third, hooking up with strangers for anonymous sex
> qualifies as
> "unsafe play," condoms or no condoms. For some guys
> the thrills of
> anonymous sex are worth the occasional STD or the
> small chance of
> being a victim of violent crime. But let's not be
> naive. Anonymous
> sex is risky sex.
>
> Okay, MBK, your specific question: Could you have
> done more? Let's
> look at what you did do: You used a lot of "I"
> statements -- "I told
> him I would only fuck him with a condom . . . 'I
> always play safe' .
> . . I told them I couldn't stay" -- then you tossed
> a condom on the
> couch and left.
>
> Ah, "I" statements. Therapists and counselors love
> 'em because they
> come in awfully handy in couples counseling, for
> instance, or family
> therapy. "I" statements are useful whenever people
> are discussing
> explosive subjects with people they hope to maintain
> a relationship
> with. "I" statements are so sensitive! And so
> nonjudgmental! But in
> the situation in which you found yourself, MBK, "I"
> statements are so
> fucking useless.
>
> When total strangers are about to do something
> dangerous, MBK, feel
> free to liberally use "you" statements. Who cares if
> you pissed off
> that bottom by saying, "You shouldn't let guys fuck
> you in the ass
> without using condoms, you stupid motherfucker!"
> It's not like you
> were going to see him again, right? If that didn't
> work, you could
> have said, "You would be an idiot to let someone
> come in your ass
> just because he tells you he's negative. You are
> going to get HIV
> doing shit like this." And there's always that ol'
> conversation
> starter, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"
>
> The above "you" statements are all for the stupid,
> stupid bottom, of
> course. For the other top: "You look like you're
> positive. Are you
> lying about your HIV status?"
>
> When I wrote a couple of months ago that positive
> guys didn't have an
> absolute right to expose other people to HIV, guys
> wrote in to say
> that it was solely the bottom's responsibility to

=== message truncated ===

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html