[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - Biblical Account of Creation Displayed - Yahoo! News

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:22:19 PDT 2005

On 08 Jun 2005 19:50:19 -0700, Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thomas Seay (entheogens at yahoo.com) has sent you a news article. (Email address has not been verified.)

--- TULSA, Okla. - The Tulsa Zoo will add a display featuring the biblical account of creation following complaints to a city board about other displays with religious significance, including a Hindu elephant statue.

The Tulsa Park and Recreation Board voted 3-1 on Tuesday in favor of a display depicting God's creation of the world in six days and his rest on the seventh, as told in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. <Snip>

Zoo employees, religious leaders and others spoke in opposition, saying religion shouldn't be part of the taxpayer-funded scientific institution.

But those who favored the creationist exhibit, including Mayor Bill LaFortune, argued that the zoo already displayed religious items, including the statue of the Hindu god, Ganesh, outside the elephant exhibit and a marble globe inscribed with an American Indian saying: "The earth is our mother. The sky is our father."

"I see this as a big victory," said Dan Hicks, the Tulsa resident who approached the zoo with the idea. "It's a matter of fairness. To not include the creationist view would be discrimination." ---

this really is insidious. it's not at all clear why excluding a creationist view is discrimination: discriminating against what, exactly? although i will admit that including the indian stuff is on the borderline.

of course, what's ironic about this is that if the jews and their christian offshoot just worshipped idols of animals (i don't know, maybe a calf made of gold?), that would solve the problem, right? there'd be the calf. and since people are animals, too, why not a big ol' crucifix?

i'm very curious how they will depict god resting on the seventh day.

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/

Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead