[lbo-talk] AFP: Macho man look is out of style

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 08:30:29 PDT 2005

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> btw anyone see Predator I, a horror/sci-sci
> adventure
> flick (not bad, actually), starring both Arnie and
> Jesse? There's another muscleman in here,
> Native-American, forgot his name, but he's obviously
> fated to be governor of something too. The flick
> incidentally involves an illegal special ops attack
> on
> a base of Central American revolutionies, for which
> the Predator makes a cruel retribution for its own
> purposes.)

Has anybody noticed in this type of movie that the bad guys are often ex-CIA/Special Ops gone mercenary, often after engaging in some sort of fictional but historically-based viciousness? I'm thinking of the CIA heroin smugglers in Lethal Weapon, the ex-"advisors" to the Latin military dictator in Die Hard II... There was another one that involved Air America...

I guess it buys into the notion that Ollie North was an aberration, but it seems like a shift from the old days of Bond & Co. going up against freelance mercenary terrorists and rogue KGB elements.

Andy