[lbo-talk] AFP: Macho man look is out of style

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 10:02:33 PDT 2005

I actually do know a former SEAL, my late dad's best friend, they were an odd mix, my dad a liberal Democratic Jewish peacenik type (a WWII vet, invalided out, never saw combat), and Jack a conservative Republican fundamentalist Christian military type who says he fought in Vietnam, Grenada, and Gulf War I, maybe elswhere. Jack and his wife) are wonderful people, and I can see why they were good friends with my folks despite the political and religious divergences, but I don't want to know or even think about the stuff he's done. Seems to have been involved in Operation Phoeni in Vietnam (the assasination program in the late 60s that wiped out the leadership of the NLF), for example. I only infer this from things he's said by the way. My teenage daughter recently grilled him about his friendship with my dad and about his military activities, she'd make some interrogator herself. jks