[lbo-talk] AFP: Macho man look is out of style

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 10:27:44 PDT 2005

--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A female friend of mine has noticed, she says, that
> you can't get into a group of more than 5 or 6 men
> before at least one of them either 1) has claimed to
> have been in Special Ops/Navy SEALS/CIA/Black Ops,
> or
> 2) "knows someone" who was in one of these bad-ass
> groups, and who then begin to crow about all the
> assorted accoutrements thereof, namely,
> assassination
> training, special weapons training, etc.

Can't say that I've seen that among adults, but I saw 2b) of the above get covered by high school acquaintances. These were the folks into making explosives, ninja stuff, blowguns and crossbows, you know.... They actually tended to be apolitical or left leaning. Esp. in college, come to think of it....

Actually my point was that the Special Ops types seem to get portrayed more often in the past twenty years or so as ueber-bad guys. As opposed to wiley furrinurs.

Andy