[lbo-talk] comment on Zuckerman(was: "Damn, did God piss in your cheerios?"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 9 13:28:50 PDT 2005

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> and here again we come back to martin's point. how do "the unknown"
> and "the unknowable" (and i maintain that these are vastly different,
> and that that difference is critical to our understanding of religion

There is a really fine example of a clash over this in the letters section of the current NYRB. The question is a scientific account of consciousness. Steven Harad argues that there _cannot_ be such an account. The nature of consciousness belongs to "The Unknowable." Searle believes in the possibility of such an account. The nature of consciousness belongs to "The Unknown."

Carrol