[lbo-talk] China [was: Blowing Up an Assumption]

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:01:40 PDT 2005

> For me is different than for me to apply the same principle to Tibet, since the principle of national self-determination suggests that people in the biggest imperialist power shouldn't dictate to China.<

Shane Mage: > But the Tibetans aren't demanding "national self-determination," they are merely asking for the autonomy promised them by China and enshrined in Chinese constitutional law. What's wrong with asking any government to comply with *its own* laws--and drawing the appropriate conclusion as to its nature from its consistent refusal to do so?<

"national self determination," it's true, includes asking for autonomy rather than secession. I'd hope that most people would use the right to national self-determination to ask for greater democracy, including application of laws such as the one that Shane refers to.

Brian Dauth [Dauth Vader?]: >I do not understand. Don't the Tibetan people have a right to decide if they want to be occupied by an invading power?<

yes they do. But the question is about what I am going to do about it. I don't feel right about lecturing the Tibetans or Chinese.

JD