[lbo-talk] American Religion (Was Irrationality of the Masses)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Fri Jun 10 17:26:40 PDT 2005

My impression is that the real religion of Americans is Americanism. I suspect most Americans - save for the religious fanatics among them and perhaps first generation immigrants - would say they are Americans first and Protestants, Catholics, Jews, and Muslims second. I don't doubt their religious identity is important to them, but no more important perhaps than their identification with their ethnic group or region or political party. For them, faith in God and the freedom to worship "each in his or her own way" would simply seem to be one element of the greater American catechism which they are taught in school - five days of the week, not only on Sunday. The world's greatest democracy is another important doctrinal principle. Boundless economic opportunity if you're willing to work hard enough a third. A haven for the world's oppressed where everyone can become an American a fourth. And so on. The flag is a far more potent symbol than the crucifix, and America the Beautiful is sung with more fervour than any religious hymn. Not many Americans would die for Jesus, Moses, or Mohammed, but worshipped are the veterans of all faiths who died for their country, in wars both right and wrong. The role of traditional religion divides conservatives and liberals, Republicans and Democrats, but everyone is proud to be an "American".

Or so it appears from the outside. I can't think of another country where nationalism has assumed such a quasi-mystical religious character, except maybe Israel. Probably it was also true of Roman, British, and other imperialisms.

MG