[lbo-talk] American Religion (Was Irrationality of the Masses)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sat Jun 11 05:00:31 PDT 2005

Shane Mage wrote:

> Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
>>My impression is that the real religion of Americans is Americanism...
>
> "If fascism comes to America it will not be called fascism. It
> will be called Americanism." (Huey Long)

----------------------------- Right, or at least the most extreme expression of Americanism, as fascism was the most extreme expression of German and Italian nationalism.There is already a very powerful American nationalism, but of course it isn't yet fascist. When the neocons are seen as too "flaccid" by forces even further to their right, which build private armies to violently suppress the liberals and a rapidly-advancing movement further to the left, which take power and replace the presidential-congressional-judicial system with something much more centralized and even more virulent, American fascism will have arrived.

MG