[lbo-talk] Christianity vs. Christianism/Political Christianity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 11 08:29:10 PDT 2005

>[lbo-talk] Christianity vs. Christianism/Political Christianity
>Steven Gotzler Steve at Gotzler.org
>Fri Jun 10 15:57:16 PDT 2005
<snip>
>Where did you get this? Great idea! Almost all of the big name
>evangelical leaders have great lines about how catholics will burn
>in hell, and jews are unfit to even pray. We have to remind them of
>that. I will do what I can. If only I had some influence with some
>religious people.

It has become relatively common to make a distinction between Islam and Muslims on one hand and Islamism/Political Islam and Islamists/Political Muslims on the other hand. We might as well apply the same distinction to Christianity.

The difficulty is that our Christian friends, being Christians that they are, tend to turn the other cheek, reluctant to brand their enemies who claim to believe in their religion as Christianists/Political Christians. :->

>[lbo-talk] Christianity vs. Christianism/Political Christianity
>Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
>Fri Jun 10 15:21:22 PDT 2005
<snip>
>>Our strategy is to reverse it: divide and conquer. Jewish
>>activists and intellectuals on the left, whenever they hear anyone
>>say "our Judeo-Christian values" or some such nonsense, ought to
>>raise their eyebrows as archly as possible and loudly inquire about
>>the fate of Jews upon the Rapture and other matters that put the
>>first person plural into question. Mainline Protestants,
>>Catholics, and Blacks should begin to adopt and propagate new
>>usage: proudly reserve the terms "Christians" and "Christianity"
>>for themselves, and consistently and insistently use the terms
>>"Christianists," "Political Christians," "Christianism," and
>>"Political Christianity" to refer to their enemies who claim to
>>believe in the same religion as theirs. At the same time, expand
>>the existing interfaith associations (e.g., <http://www.nain.org/>)
>>linking ecumenical liberals and leftists from all faith traditions.
>
>i think you're right that the language has to change. this may be
>the way to do it. but again, this was a lot of my argument with
>chuck: we need to do this by way of making allies with progressive
>religious people rather than pushing them into the arms of fundies
>they fear less than the atheist commies who hate them and their
>religion.
>
>>This is a winning strategy, if Christians on the left, who have
>>hitherto been too nice to excommunicate theocrats, manage to stand
>>firm and stay on message, no matter what.
>
>see above. don't alienate them by calling them all stupid, insane,
>anti-scientific boors, and you might get this to work. but it means
>precisely that *you* (and i don't mean yoshie, but everyone who
>wants to employ this strategy) have to stop blurring distinctions
>between fundamentalist-evangelical theocrats and more progressive
>(mainstream? dunno, honestly) religious people, christians and
>otherwise. because this strategy can only help if you get
>*christians* talking this way.

Most (or perhaps even all) Christians (as opposed to Christianists/Political Christians) more or less share my view of science's lack of interest in God and act accordingly.

The world has come of age, so we expect all grownups to act like grownups. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>