[lbo-talk] American Religion (Was Irrationality of the Masses)

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 13:09:55 PDT 2005

On 6/11/05, Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wendy writes: >An Irish friend of mine
> once told me that she viewed Canadians as "stupidly nationalistic", on
> account of their tendency to plaster the maple leaf all over
> themselves whenever they leave North America.<
>
> it's partly or wholly to differentiate themselves from USians, who
> many people outside the US don't like?

Well, of course, Irish people would be aware of that. And would have some sympathy too, since they are somewhat in the same boat, being always mistaken for British (who are also disliked in a lot of places). It was the Canadian habit of making sure that nobody ever makes that mistake which struck my friend as a bit ... OTT. Irish people are happy enough just to correct the assumption as it arises.