[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:01:17 PDT 2005

On 6/11/05, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> I think it is wrong and dangerous to think that science makes no
> metaphysical/religious claims.

science certainly makes claims about "truth", "facts", and the like, but that is very different from saying that science makes religious claims . . . even if we agree that religion also makes claims about "truth".

if you're going to say that science makes religious claims, you need to be clear what you mean by both terms. no?

-- Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead