[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 08:35:19 PDT 2005

On 6/12/05, Ted Winslow <egwinslow at rogers.com> wrote:

> So did guys called Husserl and Whitehead.
>
> In their version of phenomenology, however, it's claimed that
> experience as it is in itself - what Whitehead calls "direct intuitive
> observation" - can provide rational grounds for belief in a number of
> "religious" ideas (e.g. in Whitehead's case, for belief in an entity
> Whitehead calls "god"). See, for instance, Whitehead's Religion in the
> Making.

Ah, the old direct realism chestnut, which was left unexplicated by W. [and how could it not be? :->]. Sight/vision [of, ultimately of god/being] as the crucible for language. See Hans Jonas' comparisons of H & W and the sight/hearing contrasts as metaphors for understanding being/becoming in "The Phenomenon of Life" [recently reissued]

-- "Life sure is weird but what else am I to know?" [Jason Pierce]