[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Jun 13 07:30:11 PDT 2005

On 06/11/05 23:34, Autoplectic wrote:
> On 6/11/05, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:
>>
>> The virtue of science is that it has made it unnecessary for us to
>> have any hypothesis concerning God or gods or goddesses.
>
> <snip>

> Well the historical/theological origins of science[s] are a separate
> issue from whether God actually does *any* explanatory work in modern
> science as it has been practiced. So, Yoshie is correct.

i beg to disagree. science has made it no less necessary for my mother and her sisters to believe in god (or entertain hypotheses about him/her/it). without exaggeration, i could claim that science (especially in its practice), in all its elitist complexity, has perhaps motivated a turn (or at least a reinformcement) towards (of) god-hypotheses.

your turn... ;-)

--ravi