[lbo-talk] Way to Go, Kruggie

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 13 07:46:00 PDT 2005

Michael Hoover:
> But I think that's the wrong lesson. The Clinton plan
> actually preserved a big role for private insurers;
> the industry attacked it all the same. And the plan's
> complexity, which was largely a result of attempts to
> placate interest groups, made it hard to sell to the
> public. So I would argue that good economics is also
> good politics: reformers will do best with a
> straightforward single-payer plan, which offers
> maximum savings and, unlike the Clinton plan, can
> easily be explained....."

I recall attending a presentation by Dr. Vincente Navarro shortly after he had served on Clinton's health care reform team (and who is also the house Marxist at the JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health) who said that the Clinton's plan was a Byzantine public-private bureaucracy that was worse than the status quo. He also believed that the main opposition to a national health plan comes not from the insurance sector, but from the business leadership, because discretionary health insurance is one of their main anti-union and labor-control weapons. If people did not worry about losing their health insurance, they would be more belligerent about wages and working conditions.

Wojtek