[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 08:06:52 PDT 2005

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote: Observe the past tense in your statement. Since the dawn of modernity, science, even when it is practiced in a relatively religious country such as the United States, has required no particular belief in any kind of God or gods -- if it did, atheists and agnostics here would have trouble participating in science, let alone excelling in it.

---

Incidentally, while it is probably true that lack of religious belief correlates with being a scientist in the West, I'm not sure that it is the case in the former Soviet Union. I edited an article for the Russian Academy of Sciences recently arguing that the Orthodox Church needs to get more involved in science (the author drew a parallel with the push that Protestantism gave to rationalism in the Reformation).

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html