[lbo-talk] RE: An Appeal to Ignorance

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 10:27:17 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> According to any plausible definition of science, the question of God is
> in fact not a scientific one. I'm not being a dogmatic (rabid?) atheist
> here; the problem is that there are no accepted scientific methods to
> determine how "man may find God" or if "God exists" or if "God likes
> to play bingo". Theological speculation is outside the circle of what
> science can study, at the present time. (Science can neither support
> nor undermine my belief in God.)

Look, what I'm trying to say is this: we should not let the fundies define the meaning of religion any more than we let Bush and the IMF define the meaning of democracy.

Try to entertain the possibility that both religion and science are forms of inquiry and are only meaningful as such. When either hardens into orthodoxy, it is dangerous and, by definition, false.

Joanna