[lbo-talk] Way to Go, Kruggie

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 11:04:50 PDT 2005

> Therefore, I am interested in the health of my employees, but not in
> a healthy way. As much as I hate my reaction, I can't help but cringe
> when a medical treatment is needed by the people who work for my
> company. I know that their treatment for an illness will change my
> experience rating and will move my rate increase upward in the
> following year. I hate this feeling, and so do the other employers I
> talk to about this problem.
>
> I don't want to be selfishly concerned if an employee has a health
> problem -- I would much rather just be sympathetic and helpful.
>
> But, the reality of small business medical insurance as an employee
> benefit forces us small employers to confront our situations. I have
> seen a range of reactions by employers to the effect that employees'
> medical treatments have on our medical insurance costs. Some move
> their entire company to plans with ever-decreasing benefits in an
> attempt to offset rising costs. Some require the employees to absorb
> all or most of the cost increases. Some just soldier on, trying to
> pass the increases onto clients and customers or failing that, reduce
> margins or reduce other expenses. Tragically, some employers think
> that they need to shame, cajole or otherwise influence their
> employees to forego medical care, especially chemical dependence or
> mental health treatments, just to minimize the insurance company's
> experience assessment.
>
> Keith Nybakke

How do you deal with rising costs in your business? I had annual meetings with all 25 employees and we spent many hours going over what our options were and tried to reach a consensus or at least a majority opinion on how to best proceed. Some years we decreased benefits a little, other years employees took sustaining existing coverage and accepted smaller raises. In the end I was a bit disappointed that the feeling you describe, cringing when someone gets ill and needs expensive expensive treatment, became the shared feeling among the employees. The desire to influence employees to forego medical care is even stronger when it is not just your boss but all your co-workers urging employees who need treatment to "think about everyone else" and don't do anything that will increase "our" rates. My personal experience trying to work towards increasing employees understanding of solidarity didn't fill me with optimism.

John Thornton_