[lbo-talk] workcheapistan

lbo at inkworkswell.com lbo at inkworkswell.com
Mon Jun 13 13:51:23 PDT 2005

Do you think the expression "workcheapistan" is insulting?

Someone said it the other day and my reflex was to smile and bemoan the race the bottom that characterizes some hourly rate structures these days -- like proofreaders working for $10/hr before paying off taxes and business overhead.

then I thought: "well, actually, they aren't working cheap for where they live anyway. They're working for decent money, comparatively."

I said that in the course of the conversation but the phrase keeps churning around in me pea brain and wondering how others felt about it.

maybe we can talk about something _besides_ religion.