[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Mon Jun 13 14:59:08 PDT 2005

Hi,

See below:

________________________________

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Michael Pollak Sent: Mon 6/13/2005 5:38 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

<<SNIP>>

Religion is not to be understood as failed science. It is identity politics. It is the creation of personal and collective identities -- and the two necessarily go together -- that allow people to feel like their lives have meaning which is a fundamental component of happiness. They are not deluded, any more than people who like to live in master/slave relationships are deluded. Both ways of life look completely absurd to most practitioners of the other. But if they don't infringe on you personally -- in the strongest sense of personally, which doesn't include offending your tender sensibilities through public display -- then you should respect their right to be happy and treat their symbols with a respect that comes out of that. That's the American way. And that's the way we secular pagans should look at religion in America. There is nothing wrong with a belief in God or the in Devil, there is nothing wrong with being a Christian or a Wiccan. The only thing that is wrong is when you impose your beliefs on others and stand between them and their god-given pursuit of happiness. That is un-American. That we can stand up and fight for and win with. On that, we have a majority.

Hey Mike! The historical analysis was awesome, and this advice was very useful. Thanks.

-Chip Berlet

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4669 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20050613/ccc9f63c/attachment.bin>