[lbo-talk] Re: An Appeal to Ignorance

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:41:49 PDT 2005

sorry -- whole lotta love for the Snitster:

On 6/13/05, snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> At 02:31 PM 6/13/2005, BklynMagus wrote:
> >Buddha himself said that Buddhist should always
> >question what he taught until thay can satisfy
> >themselves through empirical experimentation that
> >it is true.
>

> And what happens when you find you're not satisfied and come to believe
> what he says isn't true?

you find a new religion.

arrested development, 1992, i think: Fishin' 4 Religion

Grab the hook, grab the line Grab the bait, grab the box and wait Tackle and shackle the topic the faculty has chosen Chosen by many, chosen by plenty, chosen by any man or woman who understand the topic that's known and [Go by the dock] flock and clock the topic as I drop my hook and get a bite

The reason I'm fishin' 4 a new religion is my church makes me fall asleep They're praising a God that watches you weep and doesn't want you to do a damn thing about it When they want change the preacher says &quot;shout it&quot; Does shouting bring about change ? I doubt it All shouting does is make you lose your voice

So on the dock I sit in silence staring at a sea that's full of violence Scared to put my line in that water coz it seems like there's no religion in there Naively so I give it another go Sitting in church hearing legitimate woes Pastor tells the lady it'll be alright Just pray so you can see the pearly gates so white

The lady prays and prays and prays and prays and prays and prays and prays and prays...it's everlasting There's nothing wrong with praying. It's what she's asking She's asking the Lord to let her cope so one day she can see the golden ropes What you pray for God will give to be able to cope in this world we live The word "cope" and the word "change" is directly opposite, not the same She should have been praying to change her woes but pastor said "Pray to cope with those"

The government is happy with most baptist churches coz they don't do a damn thing to try to nurture brothers and sisters in the revolution Baptist teaches dying is the only solution Passiveness causes others to pass us by I throw my line till I've made my decision until then, I'm still fishin' 4 religion

Fishin' 4 religion (11x) Fish [Believe !] [Everybody in the house tonight...C'mon let me hear you say] [Fishin' !]

again ymmv. my point, lest i be accused of screwing around, is that there is the asking of questions, here, challenging of religious authority, challenging of the *point* of religion or faith or whatever, indeed, opposition to the eternal life insurance policy approach to religion. it is not about shopping the wal-mart for a cheap religion that fits my little butt, but it is about looking. i've always thought looking had to do with asking questions.

all i'm saying is, we cannot and should not reduce "religion" to some monolothic entity or holdover pathology or simple residue of class warfare or ancient ways of thinking. maybe it is. but maybe it's not. maybe it WAS, and maybe it's not *any more* or doesn't *have to be* tomorrow.

jesus. it's like all the creativity in the brains on this site goes out the window when we say the "R" word.

anyway. i'm tired of it, too.

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/

Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead