[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:42:00 PDT 2005

> Religion is not to be understood as failed science. It is identity
> politics. It is the creation of personal and collective identities -- and
> the two necessarily go together -- that allow people to feel like their
> lives have meaning which is a fundamental component of happiness. They are
> not deluded, any more than people who like to live in master/slave
> relationships are deluded. Both ways of life look completely absurd to most
> practitioners of the other. But if they don't infringe on you personally --
> in the strongest sense of personally, which doesn't include offending your
> tender sensibilities through public display -- then you should respect their
> right to be happy and treat their symbols with a respect that comes out of
> that. That's the American way. And that's the way we secular pagans should
> look at religion in America. There is nothing wrong with a belief in God or
> the in Devil, there is nothing wrong with being a Christian or a Wiccan. The
> only thing that is wrong is when you impose your beliefs on others and stand
> between them and their god-given pursuit of happiness.

thanks, michael. outstanding.

i only want to call attention to the paragraph above, which i think is critically important. not only does it include the rough beginnings of a workable definition of religion, but that definition is socio-cultural. it's as if everyone's forgotten peter berger, already. do leftists not read peter berger? why not?

but the real point i want to make is not to confuse the processes and systems of identity andmeaning construction with "identity *politics*. not the same thing, and if we keep the difference clear, i believe that answers many (not all) of kelley's concerns in her reply.

thanks, j