[lbo-talk] RE: An Appeal to Ignorance

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:59:15 PDT 2005

>From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
>
>Personally, atheist disdain doesn't really bother me. I view it as a form
>of despair, esp when it's expressed through insults or, if one is feeling
>generous, condescension.

How interesting. IMO, it's *religion* that is a form of despair or at least utter fatalism. I've thought about this often recently as the nation's Hallejulah Chorus rejoices over the trashing of the welfare state. Fundamentalists have no confidence at all in people's ability to take hold of their destiny and shape it in a positive way through the collective power of government. Basically they just want to sit passively, roll their eyes up to heaven and hope that God will give 'em a job or good health someday. Pathetic.

Carl