[lbo-talk] Fwd: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 142

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 14 18:40:21 PDT 2005

>CB: What do you say they actually are ?
>
>They definitely are not victims of oppression in the way "darkies" are. To
>put "fundie" in the same category as "darky" or "towelhead" implies that
>"fundies" are the victims of world historic oppression - a seriously false
>proposition.

I call them religious bigots, biblical liberalists, simple minded fundamentalists, liars, sanctimonious hypocrites, duplicitous manipulators, borderline psychotics, whatever. I don't want to engage them at a nice level, I want to call them what they are. There's no such thing as a fundie. I'm not saying they're victims of global oppression as people of color have been, that's beyond insulting, but by adopting pejoratives in confronting them you open that avenue for them. Round these parts anyway one of the favorite tropes they pull out is the cry of the poor oppressed Christians.....I'm not willing to give them any ammo but I am willing to call them what they are.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo