[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 142 (An Appeal to Ignorance)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jun 15 05:44:01 PDT 2005

N P Childs

I call them religious bigots, biblical liberalists, simple minded fundamentalists, liars, sanctimonious hypocrites, duplicitous manipulators, borderline psychotics, whatever. I don't want to engage them at a nice level, I want to call them what they are. There's no such thing as a fundie. I'm not saying they're victims of global oppression as people of color have been, that's beyond insulting, but by adopting pejoratives in confronting them you open that avenue for them. Round these parts anyway one of the favorite tropes they pull out is the cry of the poor oppressed Christians.....I'm not willing to give them any ammo but I am willing to call them what they are.

PC

^^^^^^ CB: Well, yea. I agree with most of those terms. "Biblical liberalists" suggests that they are not fundamentalists, I guess.

So, your objection to "fundie" seems to be that it is too nice? I don't have a problem with that , if that is what you are saying.

On the other hand, calling them simple minded fundamentalists, etc. might give them the ammo for fake portrayl of themselves as victims.

This is a rhetoric question. Who is our audience ? What will persuade them. I don't know if there are differences between Canada and the US on this.