[lbo-talk] The Myth of the Madrassa

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 06:37:19 PDT 2005

> > We examined the educational backgrounds of 75 terrorists behind some of the most significant recent terrorist attacks against Westerners. We found that a majority of them are university-educated, often in technical subjects like engineering.< <

Because of an over-emphasis on higher education (compared to basic education), a lot of what used to be called "third world" countries produce many college graduates who can't get jobs locally because of the underdeveloped/distorted nature of their economies (unless they're politically connected). This is one source of the "brain drain" to rich countries and also some of the success of Bangalore (benefiting from "first world" outsourcing). But for many countries, these options aren't available. A small number of unemployed college-educated people -- perhaps the ones who think that their education makes them better than others -- turn to extreme tactics, including terrorism. College education also gives them a greater sense of world politics (the role of the US in the world, etc.)

anyway, that's my hypothesis for the connection. JD