[lbo-talk] Can-Do Il/Liberal Faiths: Heinlein.

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Jun 15 09:04:12 PDT 2005

I love messing with subject lines.

-----Original Message----- From: snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>

>There was a thread on another list (techs/geeks/hackers) recently, someone
asking, "What's good sf?" The basic gist of the replies was that everything up to _Number of the Beast_ is great, everything after that sucks b/c he started weaving 'social politics' into his work.

That's an interesting opinion that I've never heard. By interesting I mean "how the hell did they come up with that?" My only guess is that it's an average view from the list--similar to the statistician taking target practice. If they're confusing _The Number of the Beast_ with _The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress_ (more significant to the development of right-wing ideology in literature in the US than Ayn Rand's novels? Well, duh, of course), then the opinion makes more sense and is not uncommon.

>Plus, a few of the
respondents said that he got really bad after he moved to Malta and revealed a tolerant attitude toward gays.

There's a joke there I'm missing. There must be, or some confusion on the part of the part of those respondents.

Betting on the confusion,

John A

P.S. You might ask the wife what she thinks. We're a mixed marriage, you know--good-hearted non-dogmatic libertarian and surly cynical social democrat--and her opinion may be better informed than mine.

Thanks,

John A

see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/