[lbo-talk] state of virtual emergency

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:59:33 PDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Dennis Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> > This seems right up DRR's alley . . . i'm wondering if he's played the
> > game?
>
> "State of Emergency" was released awhile ago, but alas, it's a so-so game.
> It just didn't live up to the juicy press releases.
>
> > Except for military simulation games, rarely do games
> > so explicitly make politics part of their gameplay.
>
> Videogame politics is very tongue-in-cheek, salted with several varieties
> of Geek Humor (TM, Pat. Pending). In Counterstrike, for example, players
> team up as police or terrorists.
>
> > The more video games appear on the surface to emancipate
> > the player, raising his or her status as an active participant in the
> > aesthetic moment, the more they enfold the player into codified
> > and routinized models of behavior.

i've just finally (after getting through POP:WW) picked up a second-hand copy of metal gear solid 3, which i've been very much looking forward to. i'm not extensively PS2 experienced, but MGS2 is my favorite of any game i've played, hands down, with POP2 coming in second.

ymmv

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/

Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead