[lbo-talk] RE: An Appeal to Ignorance

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 08:17:06 PDT 2005

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

>form
>feeling
> > >
> > >How interesting. IMO, it's *religion* that is a form of despair
>
>It's like this. Both Dennis & Carl seem nice fellows, quite intelligent.
>But they have their spells of being sheer jackasse, and they are here
>when they pretend to have the power to read minds at a distance.

I would not claim to have Lamont "The Shadow" Cranston's ability to know what evil lurks in the hearts of men, but I know despair when I see it, even at a distance. Religiosity is the quintessence of passivity and despair. It is a frank admission that I as an individual have no control over my fate -- that I am at the mercy of the marketplace, can expect no meaningful support from the state and must look to my imaginary friend God to provide for my needs. To me, that's the definition of despair.

Carl