[lbo-talk] Schiavo had half a regulation brain

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 16 14:24:58 PDT 2005

Forgive the po-faced reply to your ironic reference, Jeffrey. It was parenthetical; I have no brief for Sen. Frist.

I did mean to repeat Nader's view of the Schiavo case, which seems to me correct, even in light of (reports of) the autopsy evidence.

He pointed out that "slow death by dehydration is being imposed upon her under the color of law, in proceedings in which every benefit of the doubt -- and there are many doubts in this case -- has been given to her death, rather than her continued life ... This outrageous order proves that the courts are not merely permitting medical treatment to be withheld, it has ordered her to be made dead."

"After the first trial in this case, much evidence has been produced that should allow for a new trial -- which was the point of the hasty federal legislation. If this were a death penalty case, this evidence would demand reconsideration. Yet, an innocent disabled woman is receiving less justice."

--CGE