[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 14:29:20 PDT 2005

--- Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote: i quite like this about wittgenstein, btw, and it's a remarkably useful concept, in philosophy of religion and elsewhere. but you have to recognize that if that's the criterion you're working with, basically analogy, then there are things you can't say coherently. i think "game" is the example LW liked to use (others will know this better than i)?

--

FWIW, I think Wittgenstein's arguments in Uber Sicherkeit and elsewhere were intended to protect religion from rationalism, not vice versa. Wittgenstein was an intensely religious person (OK, I don't know how to define "religious" here, but, damn, who would ever argue that W was an atheist or rationalist?) He believed that "God" was ineffable, but supremely important, a la Meister Eckhardt and Martin Heidegger.

Relatedly, I read recently that Niels Bohr's work was influenced by Kierkegaard (one of my intellectual heroes). Does anybody have any verification of this?

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html