[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jun 16 16:36:06 PDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:29:20 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> --
>
> FWIW, I think Wittgenstein's arguments in Uber
> Sicherkeit and elsewhere were intended to protect
> religion from rationalism, not vice versa.
> Wittgenstein was an intensely religious person (OK, I
> don't know how to define "religious" here, but, damn,
> who would ever argue that W was an atheist or
> rationalist?) He believed that "God" was ineffable,
> but supremely important, a la Meister Eckhardt and
> Martin Heidegger.

I think that was one of the reasons that Wittgenstein kept his distance from the Vienna Circle, which so much revered him, even he was on good terms with some if its members.

> Relatedly, I read recently that Niels Bohr's work was
> influenced by Kierkegaard (one of my intellectual
> heroes). Does anybody have any verification of this?

See: Gerald Holton, "The Origins of Complementarity," in his book, *Thematic Origins of Scientific Thought: Kepler to Einstein*.

Also see: "Complementarity: Content, Context and Critique," by Bryan Register http://enlightenment.supersaturated.com/essays/text/bryanregister/bohr_co mpliementarity.html

Jim F.