[lbo-talk] An Appeal to Ignorance

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:59:08 PDT 2005

It's true that one can't make perfect analogies between the past and the present; thus historical knowledge cannot give us foresight. (Nothing can.) But the "history is bunk" attitude is ridiculous, since at least reading history stimulates thought, encouraging us to "think outside the box." Partial analogies can help.

Anyway, isn't this Paul Valery claiming to have learned from history? ("Nothing was more completely ruined by the last war than the pretension to foresight.") BTW, what _is_ the logic behind his sweeping assertion? is there any reason to respect this fellow's opinion?

> "History will justify anything. It teaches precisely nothing, for it contains everything and furnishes examples of everything...Nothing was more completely ruined by the last war than the pretension to foresight. But it was not from any lack of knowledge of history,surely?...The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be. [Paul Valery]<

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.