[lbo-talk] the Mozart Effect

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 17 08:19:26 PDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, John Adams wrote:

> [...]

Note: the music kids did better than the drama kids!

> But what really interests me about this--and I don't think any sensible
> person would disagree that arts classes in schools help kids, though
> people might differ about how much to allocate to those classes--is that
> it's described, not as the "music effect" but as the "Mozart effect".
> It's less a claim about art than about class--listening to _the right
> music_ will make you smarter. Let's test those kids with _Kind of Blue_
> (or, hell, Vince Guaraldi) and see if there's a "Miles effect", in some
> better world.

The type of music is more or less irrelevant to the cognitive enhancement effect. --Although one thing stands out in the studies I'm referring to: the children are actively learning rhythm, how to read music, the relationships of tones in a chord. They're not just passively listening. The "Mozart" (or Miles) effect is a great synecdoche for American consumer culture: get something without having to actually put any effort into it! --It reminds me of those fat pill commercials: "I just took the pill and the weight came off!"

Miles