[lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Fri Jun 17 08:31:14 PDT 2005

Hi,

Oh, sure. Your right. There is and will be a loss of political momentum for the Bush coalition, but I don't think it is the "flameout" of the poltical right. The term flameout comes from jets losing thrusting power in the engine. I just think they will circle for awhile while a new navigation course based on coalition compromise gets devised.

:-)

But that does give us some time when the right has a less united front and is more vulnerable to challenges.

-cb

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Doug Henwood Sent: Fri 6/17/2005 11:07 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq

Chip Berlet wrote:

>It's not a flameout of right-wing politics, just an internal power struggle.
>
>But is it good for the Left?
>
>Yes.

Sorry for the previous empty msg - it got away on me.

But Chip, it's not just the internal power struggle. Public opinion is increasingly hostile to Bush on Iraq, Social Security, and the "social issues" like the Schiavo and stem cell affairs. And, besides, internal power struggles can reflect a loss of political momentum, no?