[lbo-talk] Attn: New York City Filmgoers

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 17 13:59:30 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Below is a post from a member of the film projectionists' union.

Even though it is nice to have the Waverly back, I recommend boycotting it until the hire union projectionists.

And one of the films they are showing is about Bob Dylan.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister

Hello all,

Just wanted to give the New Yorkers here some information on the new IFC theater (the old

Waverly) in the West Village. Although most of NY has union contracts, the IFC is refusing. They pass themselves off as caring about struggling filmmakers, yet they will not even meet with us. You see, they are owned by Clear Channel. The neighborhoods borough president has even called asking them to at least meet with us.

Wednesday they are opening with Miranda July's new film, which I myself would like to see, but I'm asking people to boycott until this is settled. Or, at least to inform you might be a little uncomfortable if you attend as you'll be crossing a picket line.

Last week there was a private screening of Don't Look Back, which I found particularly appalling. Some of the more creative projectionists were yelling Dylan lyrics to the attendees. At one point some teenager came up and asked "Who's Bob Dylan", which was kind of depressing. On the upside, I was impressed by how many engaged, thoughtful people seem concentrated in the West Village; tons of people seemed to take it personally that the IFC was not "being a good neighbor".

Oh. And whatever your stance is on Unions, we are not looking to displace any workers there, just join up for their own protection and as a guarantee that the films will be shown professionally and properly as is their due.

Jennifer Fieber