[lbo-talk] RE: An Appeal to Ignorance

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:07:58 PDT 2005

After traveling for two weeks, I'm trying to catch up on messages on LBO, and I find (not unusually) an ardent discussion of religion and theology. Many messages contain descriptions and analyses of beliefs (and the motives for them) that the writer doesn't hold -– indeed often condemns. Not a problem in itself -– it's been said that to refute an argument you must understand it slightly better than those who hold it -– but I do think that some imaginings about what the religious believe contain an element of fantasy.

A mundane example: my travels included the (sixtieth) annual convention of the Catholic Theological Society of America, an organization of academics in seminaries and university departments of theology and religious studies; almost all the members hold doctorates in theology, philosophy, or the social sciences. The political and social views expressed at the meeting were quite compatible with those expressed on this list: the presidential address, e.g., was an impassioned denunciation of US neoliberal policies and the war in Iraq. --CGE