[lbo-talk] argumentum ad scientiam socialem

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:14:36 PDT 2005

i think kelley misunderstood my positivism comment -- i was only thinking of comte and positivism when i wrote in my earlier post about technologies. i never meant to imply that i thought kelley was/is a positivist.

nor do i think either of us is a platonist, since i never meant to imply that values are out there to be discovered and conformed to. they are of course generated, replicated, and revised in practice.

anyway, what i was trying to get at was more a disciplinary point than the essential (??) nature of values. religious studies and philosophy as diciplines are also primarily about values, i would say. i don't think that's the only place it happens. but it certainly does happen there and in a different way than in, say, sociology. otoh, we use sociology and cultural anthopology and often psychology etc. etc. in our work, so, now what happens to the disciplinary boundaries.

sorry. i don't have it in me right now to take this much further. but that's where i was going.