[lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 18 08:58:22 PDT 2005

>[lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq
>Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
>Sat Jun 18 08:30:55 PDT 2005
<snip>
>>The fact that public opinion is turning against the war is good
>>news, but folks should note the fact that the antiwar "movement"
>>has not been a factor in this switch in public opinion. Yeah, I'd
>>noticed that and was trying to figure out what in meant. It's not
>>just that the antiwar "movement" hasn't been a factor, it's
>>virtually disappeared even as public opinion was turning in its
>>favor. Why?
>>Doug
>
>Isn't there a misunderstanding what the term "anti-war movement"
>means? Indeed, physical public manifestations against the war is
>limited, but that is not the venue where people are expressing thier
>opinions. It is places like this forum where real disent is
>manifest. The internet is the soapbox and it is making a difference.
>I don't know if it is true, but I have heard anti-war.com gets more
>hits than the LA Times.

Email and websites certainly magnify the speed with which opinions held by ordinary citizens can spread. While not everyone has access to the internet, those who are said to be "influentials" do. Edward B. Keller and Jon Berry claim that "one American in ten" -- "influentials" -- "tells the other nine how to vote, where to eat, and what to buy":

* Activism. The group is involved in their communities: 74% have attended a public meeting on town or school affairs vs. 16% of the general public. * Connectivity. They are more likely than the general public to be connected to many groups: political, religious, social, volunteer, hobby or interest, youth-related, professional or union. * Influence. They are twice as likely to be asked for advice on a wide range of topics: parenting, investing, politics, computers, cars and good restaurants. * Insatiable curiosity. The Influentials are voracious readers - at least two newspapers daily, several magazines a week (Consumer Reports is popular) and books (often those on retirement planning, savings and investing). They generally watch information TV (PBS and cable). They are enrolled in courses or in book groups. * Trendsetters. They are the first to try new things - personal computers (about three to five years ahead of the general public), to recognize the potential of the Internet, to use ATM machines, VCRs, camcorders.

<http://www.usatoday.com/money/books/reviews/2003-02-17-influentials_x.htm></blockquote>

While books like _The Influentials_ are more a boilerplate than anything else, social movement studies (a branch of sociology) can probably show the same thing. The socially connected and politically active 10% lead the other 90%. Anti-war activists among "influentials" continue to influence others whether or not there is a big national anti-war demonstration.

Besides, time is on the anti-war side. The longer the Iraq War goes on, the more Americans and Iraqis die, and the more Americans get weary of it. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>