[lbo-talk] Indonesia to take part in Miss Universe contest for the first time

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Jun 18 13:35:37 PDT 2005

THE TIMES OF INDIA

SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2005

Indonesia to take part for the first time

AFP

JAKARTA: An Indonesian is taking part in the Miss Universe contest for the first time in years but she is toeing the line and promises to wear a one-piece swimsuit instead of a skimpy two-piece bikini, a report said on Saturday.

The government of president Suharto banned Indonesians from participating in the Miss Universe pageant, arguing that such a contest was against the country's cultural values.

The autocrat resigned under pressure in 1998 after 32 years in power.

The ban was backed by conservative Muslim leaders who condemned the contest because it requires participants to show their bare skin.

Artika Sari Devi, who won the Miss Indonesia beauty pageant this year, was quoted by the Jakarta Post as saying that she planned to join the swimsuit session but with a more modest outfit.

"I will wear the one-piece swimsuit instead of the skimpy two-piece one," she told the Post."It's a great opportunity to compete in such an international competition. Wish me luck," she said.

Copyright © 2005 Times Internet Limited.