[lbo-talk] Re: Surpassing the Gulag in Scale

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Jun 20 15:51:10 PDT 2005

Justin wrote:

> As a liberal I think Gitmo merits rage and resistance. Get some spine.
Luke. This aint commie radical stuff, we are talking basic > due process and cruel & unusual punishment rights here, the basis of liberal democracy.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. I just think that, other things being equal, making patently absurd claims (e.g. "Gitmo is a bad as the gulags") isn't helpful. Then again, that might just be an article of faith. GOP hacks say lots of stupid shit, and it seems to have worked for them. Perhaps we should aim to match their bullshit to reason ratio. Somehow I just don't see it working.

-- Luke