[lbo-talk] Re:anti-capitalist films?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jun 20 20:44:34 PDT 2005

B. wrote:

> Fight Club I never saw as anti-capitalist though the
> black-clad 'terrorist' group in it seems to have
> inspired at least one black bloc. The one thing about
> Fight Club that warrants remembering is the rebels are
> all-male, very much concerned about being
> 'emasculated' by society [in other words, one of their
> primary grievances seems to be that they can't be
> 'men' in this world], and their subversive black-clad
> group is extremely patriarchal and hierarchical, with
> the Brad Pitt character as the kind of man's man of a
> cult leader.
>
> American Beauty -- a lot of older white guys really
> seemed to like that movie. The white male patriarch
> [Spacey] bucks authority at his job and gets it on
> with the nubile young babe, meanwhile defying his
> oppressive, nagging wife. I dunno....

Jesus Christ, one of those political correct killjoys that everybody moves away from at parties.

American Beauty, the Matrix, and Fight Club are all great anti-capitalist movies. Most anarchists and anti-capitalists will agree with me as they pull their DVDs of those flics off of their shelves (or the floor).

Chuck