[lbo-talk] Straw in the wind: Republican base dividing on Iraq

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:43:27 PDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Chuck0 wrote:
> In case Chip hasn't noticed, the avatar of the religious right's
> so-called power, President Bush, is suffering from new highs in
> unpopularity. Doug just emailed an article that reports that 59% of
> Americans oppose the war. These numbers will grow and can only be turned
> around, briefly, by the capture of Osama bin Laden. In fact, bin Laden
> is the only ace that Bush still has up his sleeve to boost his ratings.
> Bush is opposed by many Americans. His social security stuff has jumped
> the shark with Republicans working overtime to save face.

Bush might get new support if another 911 happened. Or if the new US Ambassador to Iraq were assassinated.

> Bush is becoming a lame duck with little political capital to spend. As
> Thomas Frank points out, Bush isn't interested in fighting the culture
> wars, except during the election cycle. This means that the guy who
> manifests the so-called power of the religious right isn't interested in
> doing stuff for them.

you don't think he'd appoint a Scalia clone to the Supremes?

> Chip argued that the appointment of more federal judges will set back
> the left 20-30 years. This is complete nonsense. Reagan and Bush Sr.
> appointed more conservative judges and the left is bigger now than
> during their terms. Even if a few judges start clamping down on dissent,
> there are many ways to fight back.

I don't know if the left is bigger or not. But the judges that Reagan and Bush1 appointed were much more liberal than the ones that Bush2 is appointing (partly because the establishmentarian political consensus has shifted so far to the right). This can be seen by the fact that the DeLays of the world are railing against judges who were appointed by GOPsters.

> The religious right is still a threat, but I suspect they are fighting
> on fumes. Before the 2004 election, there were signs that many religious
> conservatives wanted to withdraw from the culture wars and politics, in
> favor of religion that was more focused on spiritual matters. The hype
> about the religious right glosses over the fact that their movement is
> not one that is growing at any significant pace. Once Bush leaves office
> they will be left with even less power than when Bush took office in 2001.

Bush has provided them with lots of jobs, including the "faith-based government services" sector. Patronage of this kind can be addictive. If nothing else, it gives them power.

> Finally, Howard Dean spoke some uncomfortable truths about the right
> wing last week that has them hopping mad. The Republican Party *is* a
> party of older, white Christians.

so is the DP.

> They may have convinced millions of
> voters to re-elect Bush last year, but their base is getting older and
> the Republicans have a diversity problem. Their Karl Rove machinations
> will stop working on the younger generations which are savvier and more
> cynical about politics. ...

IMHO, cynicism helps the Roves of the world.

> I also predict that the right wing media machine will collapse by 2008.
> People are tired of it. Fox News is losing viewers. O'Reilly is old
> schtick. Limbaugh is due to lose audience share. The left and
> independent media are mobilizing, kind of like the right wing mobilized

Air America?

> I'm optimistic.

good for you.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.