[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the Need for Meaning

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jun 21 09:44:03 PDT 2005

Jeffrey Fisher

so i see no conflict, here between what you want and what i want.

^^^ CB: Truly. I'm with Rodney King on us all getting along.

^^^^

i may be misunderstanding something (or even everything) here, but i do believe we are very much on the same page, at least one important set of points. i like to find the common ground where i can find it, and i think we have some, here. the question then is where that leaves us wrt some of the other questions that we've been trying to address the last couple of weeks.

right?

^^^^^^ CB: Sure.

On the one hand, I don't talk down to people of faith in everyday life or in political contexts. Actually, it would be absurd if I did. I would be largely isolated. I mainly worry about people thinking less of me.

On the other hand, there aren't too many atheists' spaces in society so dominated by believers. This is the aspect that makes the issue of atheists' condescending toward believers such an atypical problem. Overall, we are the "victims", if anybody is. Claiming to be victims is one of the Chritian Rights' biggest pieces of demogogy. So, that sort of looms in the background when the question of condescending to the religious is raised on LBO-talk.

Either way, the bellyaching we do here, on this list, about rightwing Christians and "religion" is not such a big deal. Also, I think we do need a moniker for the worst of the lot to convey sharp political criticism of them. They should not be able to hide their politics behind their crosses. Wordsmithing goes on here.

Maybe ?