[lbo-talk] state of the insurgency

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 21 11:45:15 PDT 2005

Unlike Vietnam, Iraq is vital to American geopolitics. Vietnam was a demonstration war, showing that small nations are not to be allowed to develop independently of US hegmeony. It worked, too: the Vietnamese PM is in the US, visiting Bill Gates and George Bush (in that order).

Although we killed perhaps fifty times as many people in SE Asia as we have in Iraq, Iraq is much more than a demonstration war. (Of course it is that, too -- a demonstration that We Mean Business in the new belligerence of the National Security Strategy of September 2002.) Control of access to world energy resources in the contest with our real economic rivals -- W. Europe and NE Asia -- has been a cornerstone of US policy. That means control of the "Greater Middle East," as they say at the Pentagon, even though US industry doesn't need Mideast oil for its own use. Permanent US bases in the midst of world's greatest oil-producing region are the reason that the US will not be leaving Iraq any time soon. --CGE