[lbo-talk] The Left was Re: ... the Gulag ...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 21 13:00:44 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> We can't make them deny it because the powers that be
> control the dominant culture and the media and we
> don't.

This has to be a starting point for considering left resistance. And incidentally, it is one of the reasons that concern about "frmaing" is a dead end for lefitsts. It doesn't matter how "we" frame it, as it reaches masses of readers & viewers it will be reframed to fit the dominant ideologies. (Plural because there are surface differences within the ruling class.)

> We have to sound semi-reasonable. That is why
> it is counterproductive as well as probably untrue to
> call mere supporters of Gitmo fascists.

I believe in being as well as sounding reasonable -- but not for this reason. Some of "us" will _always_ (as I've argued many times) be idiots, anarchists, stalin-baiters, bomb-throwers, etc., and the mass media will pick and choose which of "us" to notice. Hence we gain nothing by sounding reasonable -- though we will lose often by being or sounding unreasonable.

> We marginalize ourselves

Nonsense. At our best and most reasonable we are still equally marginalized. That marginalization can't be undone or even dented by our avoiding mistakes, because it wasn't any mistakes of ours that got us marginalized in the first place.

(This is not a declaration of despair or passivity -- one neither can nor should try to cover everything in one post.)

Carrol