[lbo-talk] Weber's polar night

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:22:03 PDT 2005

> On one level, this was unimportant, just a (then) somewhat obscure science
> fiction film that melted cyberpunk (a word that so quickly moved in and out of
> common use...which seems fitting) ideas on top of P.K. Dick strangeness. But
> there was another level -- a new idea (new to me at least) was being visually
> presented: technical progress, and the accumulation of knowledge doesn't
> inexorably lead to utopia but only a modification of current imperfections. This
> seems trivial and self-evident to sophisticates: of course, we say, of course.
> But it overturns deeply held beliefs -- ideas that surround us like the air we
> breathe and rarely detect.

I have no illisuion that technical progress and accumulation of knowledge have to lead to improvement. (I don't believe in utopia at all as an obtainable or even a desirable goal.) But I strongly believe that technical progress and the accumulation of knowledge make a better life possible - if we can win a society that chooses to use them that way. Does that classify me as a modernist? -- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net