[lbo-talk] Nepal's Maoists say they will halt attacks on civilians

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jun 22 15:52:50 PDT 2005

HindustanTimes.com

Monday, June 20, 2005

Nepal's rebels say they will halt attacks on civilians

Agence France-Presse

Kathmandu, June 20, 2005

Nepal's Maoist rebel chief on Monday announced a halt to attacks against unarmed civilians until further notice and said the party is prepared to join political parties opposing King Gyanendra.

The move follows widespread criticism of the rebels after they blew up a bus two weeks ago killing 36 people -- mainly civilians -- in an incident they later acknowledged was a "grave mistake".

"Our party has issued special instruction to its entire party rank and file, the people's liberation army and all organs of the new people's government to halt physical action against unarmed individuals until further decision," said Maoist party chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal, also known as Prachanda.

"The party has instructed them not to take physical action against unarmed individuals, regardless of whatever crimes they might have committed," he said in a statement received here Monday.

"Never has it been our party policy to use force against any innocent and unarmed political workers or general public," the statement said. "We have effective measures to ensure that such mistakes do not recur in the future."

Prachanda hailed an alliance formed by seven political parties who have been sidelined since Gyanendra seized absolute power on February 1, claiming the elected government had failed to end the nine-year insurgency in which some 11,000 people have died.

"The seven parties have, though belatedly, expressed their commitment to end autocratic regime, set up full-fledged democracy and even go to the extent of constituent assembly election which our party hails as a step forward," Prachanda said.

"Our party is ready to work in ... with the seven parties to launch an effective and joint movement to end the autocratic regime," he added.

The seven parties have been demanding the reinstament of the disbanded parliament and the restoration of democracy in Nepal.

© HT Media Ltd. 2004.