[lbo-talk] Gmane (was: lbo RSS feed)

David partaig at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 05:17:37 PDT 2005

I've been reading lbo-talk as a newsgroup on www.gmane.org for a couple of years, and much prefer it to receiving huge amounts of mail or a lengthy digest. Gmane also provides some other goodies like an RSS feed, a free archive, etc. I suspect that other people were also using it - and that others would if they new about it.

lbo-talk is no longer available on Gmane, however; Doug mentioned that he and Jordan had asked for it to be removed because of the "occassional but urgent necessity to remove posts from the archive". (http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20050620/013121.html)

While I understand that desire, I wonder if we are losing quite a lot of free, useful functionality to enable something that happens very rarely, and that, in fact shouldn't really be necessary at all. The welcome to lbo-talk message does say:

"Please note that all posts to the list are archived, are accessible to the public, and are quickly indexed by Google and other web indexes. So if you've got anonymity concerns, it's best to use an email address that hides your identity."

If there are any concerns that aren't covered, I would be willing to work with the Gmane people to see if they can be addressed.

David.